Need an ITIN? We make the application process very easy for you.

Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) service.

Apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and keep your original documents (you do not have to mail your passports and other original documents to the IRS). As a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) we can verify your supporting documents and send copies of these documents along with the ITIN application (IRS form W-7) to the IRS.

What this means to you

By having a CAA review and authenticate the required documentation, you are not required to visit an IRS office or mail your original documents such as your passport, driver’s license, birth certificate, etc. to the IRS (Which we would never recommend because who knows if or when you would get them back).

What is a Certifying Acceptance Agent?

A Certifying Acceptance Agent is a person or an entity (business or organization) who, pursuant to a written agreement with the IRS, is authorized to assist individuals and other foreign persons who do not qualify for a Social Security Number in obtaining ITINs. Certifying Acceptance Agents review applicants’ documentation, complete a certificate of accuracy (IRS form W-7COA) and forward the certificate and application (IRS form W-7) along with a tax return to the IRS for processing.

What documents are required to apply for an ITIN?

A passport is the only stand-alone document that proves both identity and foreign status. However, beginning October 1, 2016 the IRS will no longer accept passports that do not have a date of entry into the U.S. as a stand-alone identification document for dependents from countries other than Mexico and Canada or dependents of military members overseas. Affected applicants will now be required to submit either U.S. medical records for dependents under age 6 or U.S. school records for dependents under age 18, along with the passport. Dependents aged 18 and over can submit a rental or bank statement or a utility bill listing the applicant’s name and U.S. address, along with their passport.

Who needs an ITIN?

An ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number from the Social Security Administration.

IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with U.S. tax laws and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers. ITINs are not valid for Identification outside of the tax system. ITINs are used for tax purposes only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN does not authorize work in the U.S. or provide eligibility for Social Security benefits or the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S tax return and payment responsibilities under the IRC. Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

If you believe that you once had a SSN, but are not sure, check with the SSA before applying for an ITIN. SSA can be found here.

Certain ITINs will need to be renewed beginning in 2017

For taxpayers whose ITINs are eventually deactivated, a new ITIN may be applied for by filing form W-7. But if you prefer to avoid the hassle of needing to re-apply for an ITIN every time you need one, simply be sure to file a federal tax return with your existing ITIN.

For all the details, the full press release from the IRS can be found here.

If you have an unused ITIN that is in jeopardy of expiration, give us a call for assistance.

We specialize in all tax-related matters and can assist you in understanding the impact of this new policy. Contact us and we’ll be happy to discuss your unique situation with you.

For more information, refer to Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens, and to Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).